So you've landed an SEO Sales prospect. Great job..you've genuinely completed half the battle. Starting the conversation is an incredibly crucial aspect in the sales pipeline. But don't give yourself a pat on the back so fast. In my 6 years within the SEO Industry, I've held witness to far more things than I can recount in this primer alone. What I'm going to delve into today are the How SEO Salespeople COMPLETELY MISS what motivates their clients!
This Just In: Prospects DON'T CARE about technobabble and jargon.
They DO care about their Business and how SEO nets themROI.Yes, I get it. There's a time when a prospect will have a specific question regarding a particular algo update that just tanked their website. Yes, if that happens, briefly demonstrate that you understand your $*** extremely well - and then move the interaction forward! REMEMBER..Prospects will NOT be motivated to sign a contract by learning about the lack of keyword density on their website or lack of anchor text diversity. THEY WILL BE MOTIVATED by understanding how their investment equates with the new exposure they will receive, as well as what dollars they can expect back from their investment.
Case in point Example: John's Home Building CompanyJohn's Home Building Company in Dallas is a fictitious General Contracting Company. Not only is Dallas a huge city with numerous suburbs, but John can market a variety of services.
What I DON'T want to ask:
- Why aren't your title tags optimized?
- Why aren't you utilizing a variety of link sources?
- Did you know that the latest Google update penalizes ____?
- Why aren't you devoting separate pages to capture each keyword?
What I DO want to ask:
- Do you also offer kitchen, bathroom, and basement remodeling?
- What's your average profit on a job for those 3 services?
- Do you have the capacity to grow in those areas?
- Do you service some of the surrounding cities with 100k+ residents?
- Did you know that there are ___ amount of people searching for kitchen remodeling in _____ city/suburb? (Follow up with: "That's a lot of people, isn't it?)
What you want John to imagine when you speak with him about SEOYou would like to explain to John that SEO is just like any other marketing: Just like TV, Radio or Print. What John can understand makes John less fearful. How? Simple. There is X amount of money he will invest to gain exposure to ____ people who are targeted because they ______. From that action, he can expect X + $ in return since:
- 1 Bathroom Remodeling job a month nets him $___
- 1 Kitchen Remodeling job a month nets him $___.